Mulan

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:02:03 +0200 (EET)

> Nils says:
>
> I saw Disney's Mulan this weekend. Lots of excellent
> Kralorela inspiration there.

Agreed, though I wish Disney would have trusted in the actual story's capability to carry the movie through. The compulsory wacky bits added to the rather subtle and beautiful style of the main story were like a screwdriver thrust in ones ear... even more so than usually. It's not that the sideline things weren't funny, but it would have been so much better without them.

> I'm sure there must be
> a magical version of the ultra-cool artillery.

I disagree... Gunpowder and rockets _are_ magic for all intents and purpouses. Why add some unnecessary sparkle and fairydust to what is already awe inspiring and miraculous.

 And,
> Shan Yu, the hun general and his big baddies _are_
> Sheng Seleris and his warband.

Good thinking... Personally I was struck with how troll like they were. Huge, indestructable marauders who seemed to carry their own darkness with them. Strength, tenacity and fear... They even looked like trolls (for humans).
  I have trouble seeing the old mystic as a seven foot 400 lbs bruiser. But other than that, it was pretty obvious that we vere seeing a superhero in action. Especially since he seemed quite capable of seizing the capital alone after having lost his army.

And how nice to see such a delightful female character from Disney. No princess she, and yet very feminine in all the positive aspects of the word.

yin and jang, nicely balanced

ahem... sorry about the low gloranthan content on that one. Will do penance.

        -Adept

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"