Compasses

From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:25:47 +1100

G'day all,

Compasses

I said:

<< You don't think a bit of tin pointing to the giant whirlpool in the centre  of the (flat) earth is exotic? >>

Mark replies:

>Well, it's about as normal as you can get on a flat world.

I see the point you're making, now. I was just noting a tin compass is a pretty weird concept for the planet Earth, just as, I guess, the notion of a North Pole would be real exotic for Glorantha.

>My own vote for the
>best idea for the Haragalan compass goes to Nils Weinander's suggestion that
>it always points towards the grand temple of Lumaxoran in Champaya, were that
>magic pool that they get the water for the sacred bowls that allow them to
>extend their magic beyond Haragala is. In fact, I believe that the sacred bowl
>IS the compass, you let a sliver of wood or something float in the bowl and it
>always points towards the temple. This would explain why the other Islanders
>don't use compasses and also reinforce the Haragalans' sense of self
>- -importance, their Island being the navigational center of the world.

I like Nil's idea a lot, especially how it bolsters Haragalan arrogance! Are these compasses a really big secret (the Haragalans snigger behind their hands at everyone else's clueless attempts to sail in the right direction, while their sailing exploits are looked on ith wonderment and awe), or are they well-known, the source of much jealousy and Haragalan pride, possibly even available for purchase orh h at truly fantastic expense?

Another way someone might find their way round is with the Yelmalio spirit magic spell "Seek Sun Dome". This causes the direction of the nearest Sun Dome Temple to appear as a glow on horizon. Of course, other than the Praxian SDT which has been there since the Second Age, I'm not exactly sure what other SDTs there might be anymore (except the very recent one in Dragon Pass).

Cheers,

MOB