Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #354

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:05:45 EST

Richard Crawly...dive dive dive...arroougha!
<<

 What do we think the Mostali would use for long distance comm-  unications with a submarine? I thought of lowering a large bell  into the water back at base and bashing out slow morse code  messages Any other thoughts? Spirits? Special sorcery? I'd  like communications to be slow and difficult>>

I don't see that it is necessary to have any communications with the sub except for plot device purposes, so perhaps they sub can recieve messages but not send them. Presumably there is some sort of sonar type thing going "bing..........bing........bing..." in the background (perhaps its a nilmerg) so that the Commander knows where the bottom is (or if there is a bottom). This would rely on incoming sounds. I don't know how submarines communicate in RW but might try to duplicate the effects of that. Perhaps the sub would have to surface then flash messages via the Lead Zeppelin back to Base.

<< What would be the primary propulsion system? I'd like some
 analogue of a nuclear plant - arcane and potentially dangerous>>

I'd presume a shalft mounted propeller but.... how about giant mechanical frog legs, the whole vessel a gigantic mechanical fish,

Power: Clearly a case of Silver Dwarfs and some sort of dangerous enchantment. Power from this captured demon, or whatever, is channelled by copper dwarf conduits to necessary subsystems. Perhaps the vessel to contain the demon is a giant Lead Bottle. For poison radiation type analog, how about a Selene powered boat, Invisible Insane (out of sight, out of mind), fluctuating and mythologically connected with the sea. It seems to me there must be room for one of the warfs to say "the [engines]/[jolanti]/[moon elementals] canna take it Cap'n"

 <<For the reserve system I'm assuming there are a couple of  Jolanti-sized hand cranks in the engine room It would become  the Jolanti Wrangler's job to ensure that commands relayed  from the Captain are converted into instructions to the Jolanti>>

The whole thing could be powered by a Jolanti treadmill, auxillary power from dwarves when needed.