[none]

From: David Cheng <cheng_at_io.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 23:13:12 -0600 (CST)

In V6 #356, Ian Gorlick has a creative idea about...

>Instead of a nuclear plant, how about an elementally enhanced
coal-burning
>steam engine?
>- -Undines extract vital air (oxygen) from the water.
>- -Sylphs control the flow of the vital air into the combustion chambers.
>- -Salamanders in the combustion chambers ensure hot clean burning.
>- -Sylphs pull the combustion gasses out of the engine and pass it to
exhaust.

While I like the idea as a whole, I have a quibble with step #1 - Undines extracing air from water.

This also goes right to the heart of one of my personal Gloranthan pet peeves.

I do not think Gloranthan elements mix in the same way that Earth science has determined that Earth elements mix.

Fer instance, I do not think there is any such thing as "oxygen" in Glorantha. There is Air, and there are myths that talk about why a lot of things need it to survive.

And, even if some Irripi Ontor scholar discovered some sub-element of Air, and called it Oxygen, I definitely don't think you could extract it from Water, because Water is a totally different element.

A bigger pet peeve of mine.

A fire is burning. Player Character wants to summon his Sylph to swirl around the fire and make it burn hotter. This PC is clearly drawing upon his personal knowledge of Earth Physics.

IMG, things just don't work that way. Since Air/Storm and Fire are mythic enemies, I am more prone to say that a Sylph will disperse a fire, not intensify it.

The one exception to this is Gustbran, or other blacksmithing gods. They have secret knowlege of a myth where Storm harassed Fire to such an extent that Fire got enraged and burned hotter. However, they can only invoke this magic in their sacred Forge, using the magically-created Bellows. This is not an ability they can call upon anywhere just because some player character thinks it would be convenient.

There are some differences between Glorantha and Earth worth preserving, because they highlight the special difference between the two.

Happy Holidays,
- -DC