Re: Arkat "betraying" Peloria

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:40:24 -0000

Peter writes:

> Arkat never promised the Pelorians a rose garden so he cannot be
> said to have "betrayed their hopes"

Wasn't Arkat an Illuminate?

Wasn't the Bright Empire of Nysalor the enlightened, progressive state that first brought Illumination to the world?

Isn't it just a leetle bit disappointing when someone you've gone out of your way to spiritually enhance follows you home and kicks in your place, assisted by trolls?

(Or dragons, for that matter; but that was a coupla Ages later).

I agree with the literal sense of Peter's message, of course, but think a little wider and the Big Picture becomes apparent. To good Pelorian Illuminates, Arkat is just like Darth Vader: the promising student turned to the Dark Side. And if that's not a betrayal...?

Cheers, Nick

PS: I agree with the Chengster 100% on RW science not *necessarily* working in Glorantha. Where the RW effect would be inappropriate, it ain't so. (You can't hurt a troll just by bleeding on him, frex).