RE: Elements

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:33:30 -0000

David Cheng:
>A bigger pet peeve of mine.
>A fire is burning. Player Character wants to summon his Sylph to
>swirl around the fire and make it burn hotter...
>IMG, things just don't work that way. Since Air/Storm and Fire are
>mythic enemies, I am more prone to say that a Sylph will disperse
>a fire, not intensify it.

I agree entirely with this principle, although blowing on a fire in Glorantha should still make it hotter. This could be explained by the fire spirit being so much more powerful than the gentle breeze that it eats it and becomes stronger, but a sylph fights it properly and disperses it (in Stormbringer, IIRC, syplhs fight fire by creating a barrier around it, depriving it of air - they can do the same to people too). Blacksmiths' forges feed powerful sylphs to the fire, but they are bound so as to be unable to fight it.

philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk
http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/
Failure is not an option, it's integral to the o/s.