Things in bottles

From: Jon Thorvaldson <yinkin_at_uppsala.mail.telia.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:52:14 +0100

I herewith unlurk and jump onto the discussion that Ian Gorlick and Davis Cheng began about chemistry/physics and elements in Glorantha.

My answers to the problems Ian presented would be as wollows (all IMO, of course):

>1) If you put a candle in a jar and seal the jar, what happens?

Nothing, the candle would continue to burn. Fire is a completely separate element from air so I can find no reason why the fire would be dependent on air. According to the popular creation myth, Air/Storm was the child of Fire/Sky and the Earth, so why should fire be dependent on its child? Of course, we could always invent a mythological explantion why it is so, but as of now, I can find no reason for fire being dependent on air.

>2) If you put a fish in a bottle of water without any plants and seal the
>bottle, what happens?

Again I would say that nohing would happen until the fish starved to death. Fish are the descendants of Golod, the Fish Father, and Tholaina, the Queen of Beasts, daughter of Triolina, grandchild of Zaramaka, the primal waters. Tholaina's father was Hykim, God of Animals, whose exact ancestry I am not aware of, but GOG (Prospaedia) says that he is "reputed to be [a son] of the earth and a dragon". Anyway I detect no air connections for the fishes. Additionally, there is no air in the water, is there? Water is a pure element, the fish is a creature of the waters, the fish has water in the bottle. Unless the fish pollutes the water with its wastes, the big probelm is the lack of food in the bottle.

Jon Thorvaldson

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #364