Candle and Fish

From: Alain RAMEAU <Alain.RAMEAU_at_total.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:36:16 +0100

>>1) If you put a candle in a jar and seal the jar, what happens?

> Nothing, the candle would continue to burn. Fire is a completely
> separate element from air so I can find no reason why the fire would
> be dependent on air. According to the popular creation myth,
> Air/Storm was the child of Fire/Sky and the Earth, so why should
> fire be dependent on its child? Of course, we could always invent
> a mythological explantion why it is so, but as of now, I can find
> no reason for fire being dependent on air.
Interesting concept. I think I would do the same. However, how to extinguish a fire ? Putting a linen or something on it should not be enough as no air is needed ? Only water or spell could work ?

>>2) If you put a fish in a bottle of water without any plants and seal the
>>bottle, what happens?

>Again I would say that nohing would happen until the fish starved to death.
>Fish are the descendants of Golod, the Fish Father, and Tholaina, the Queen
>of Beasts, daughter of Triolina, grandchild of Zaramaka, the primal waters.
>Tholaina's father was Hykim, God of Animals, whose exact ancestry I am not
>aware of, but GOG (Prospaedia) says that he is "reputed to be [a son] of
>the earth and a dragon". Anyway I detect no air connections for the fishes.
>Additionally, there is no air in the water, is there? Water is a pure
>element, the fish is a creature of the waters, the fish has water in the
>bottle. Unless the fish pollutes the water with its wastes, the big probelm
>is the lack of food in the bottle.

     "You're right" would say a Tholaina priest ! "A fish needs water, not
     air ! Try removing a fish from the water and let it on the ground,
     where there is plenty of air but no water. It will die soon !"

     Alain

     http://www.btinternet.com/~karamo/rqgb.htm