Candles and fishes in jars

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:14:34 +0000

David Cheng asks:

>"Why would anyone in their right mind put a candle, or a fish, into a jar,
>and then seal it up?"

Someone, somewhere by now would have got sick of having their candle blown out when they went outside to "fertilize the garden" at night Someone, somewhere would have thought, "Hey, we've got some glass jars I could put the candle in to stop it blowing out!"

By now (sixteen twenty something) the usefulness of doing this would have been recognised and candle in jar lanterns would be common (or at least as common as the glass blowing technology would allow)

Unless of course the Gloranthan wind doesn't blow out candles?

If we go down this line we could rapidly end up with a world so unlike the RW as to be unrecognisable

>Please remember the root cause of my peeve: players using their
>real-world knowledge to influence their characters actions I don't
>want players thinking about stuff like the science of how the world
>works, because their characters don't think that way

No argument with that from me but I do think you have to consider what the great sages of history will have come up with given the basic laws of Gloranthan physics=2E

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte:co:uk