Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #366

From: robin <robin.m_at_cityweb.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:57:08 +0100

Jon Thorvaldson:

>Fish are the descendants of Golod, the Fish Father, and Tholaina, the >Queen of Beasts, daughter of Triolina, grandchild of Zaramaka, the >primal waters. Tholaina's father was Hykim, God of Animals, whose exact >ancestry I am not aware of, but GOG (Prospaedia) says that he is >"reputed to be [a son] of the earth and a dragon". Anyway I detect no >air connections for the fishes.

Alain RAMEAU:
>"You're right" would say a Tholaina priest ! "A fish needs water, not
>air ! Try removing a fish from the water and let it on the ground,
>where there is plenty of air but no water. It will die soon !"

Yes, right. But there is hardly any race with an air connection. Mother Mammal is the daughter of Hykim and Mikyh, children of Gata and a dragon. Eiritha, Mother of herds, is the daughter of Hykim and Ernalda. All with no air connection. The only races with an air god in their ancestry I know are dolphins, whales and seals. They are the children of an air spirit (I don't know the name) and Tholaina.

It would sound odd if none of the other creatures would have to breath.

I guess Grandfather Mortal was made by some air gods. Therefore humans, elves and ducks would need the air. I'm not sure of Kygor Litor and her trolls, although they have lungs.

Of course, an Orlanthi would be killed for asking silly questions about fishes in bottles. But not so a Mostali in a sub. Or if you are not a Sartarite, could you strangle a cat? Would a sable die you've shot in the lungs?

One reason could be indeed the Great Compromise. But that would mean in the moment of the first dawn the anatomy of almost all living beings would have changed dramatically.

Robin Mitra