Messenger spirits

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:23:09 +0000

Nick Fortune replies to my communications point:

richardc_at_sypte=2Eco=2Euk:
>What do we think the Mostali would use for long distance comm-
>unications with a submarine? I thought of lowering a large bell
>into the water back at base and bashing out slow morse code
>messages Any other thoughts? Spirits? Special sorcery? I'd
>like communications to be slow and difficult

Nick:
<Wrong question! Spirits are the obvious solution, but that's far too fast and easy So the first question is why don't spirits work? Have this particular bunch of mostali done something to offend the local sea god, for example? >

Now I come to think about this, I have to wonder about The Closing Does this affect spirit-borne communications across the sea as well as ship-borne?

How easy is spirit-borne communication at intercontinental ranges? And hence how widespread?
Are the dwarfs of Iron Mountain in touch with those at Greatway? Ditto those on that island off Pamaltela whose name I forget? Can messenger spirits be taught the Open Seas ritual?

Yours surrounded by empty cans and lots of worms,

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte:co:uk