Two Thunders, Pt II

From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_xsite.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 17:52:56 -0600

Wesley Says:

>so, IMO, compassion is not a word that I would associate with any of the
Storm >gods. Honour and responsibility yes, compassion no.

Isn't it hinted that Orlanth learned compassion from Ernalda? I'd make the Lightbringer's Quest one of the Gloranthan equivalents to the death and resurrection of Christ in it's mystery (as no doubt would the Glorious Reascent of Yelm). From what I understand, Orlanth's compassion, as well as responsibility and honor, is what seperates him from his cruder storm kin. This trait, ASFAIK, is only shared by Urox (see COP).

>Any Lightbringer trapped in the underworld of Alkoth is toast. There is
no escape. Hell is bad enough, somebody else's hell is impossible. Look at Sheng Seleris. Even as powerful as he is (at his peak a new star appeared in the sky) he cannot escape from the Lunar hell he is in.

>Wesley

Past tense, Wesley. Sheng already has been rescued from that Lunar Hell.

And I disagree. Remember who got him out, using Lightrbringer mysteries?

*Argrath* :)

And lets not forget Harmast Barefoot, who rescued Arkat from the underworld to which Nysalor banished him to. While it may not have been Alkoth Hell again, there was most likely a greater chance that it was.

Any Lightbringer(worth their salt, anyway) in any kind of Underworld would kick major butt. Orlanth may not live down there, but he doesn't have to.  According to CoT and CoP, Orlanth and the Lightbringers defeated the Holders of Hell, assorted Chaos and Darkness horrors, and freed Yelm, something which Shargash *did not* do. According to Orlanthi myth, anyway.  regardless of the 'correctness' of the Myths, Lightbringer Questors in Alkoth Hell have a host of myths of their own which IMO are just as potent.

However, ASFAIK, Sheng was trapped in a *Lunar* hell, not necessarily the Underworld of Alkoth, so you may well have a point. However, the Solar Gods have never really been able to be victorious against the Storm Pantheon...until the coming of the Red Goddess.

Chris Bell
argrath_at_xsite.net