Re: Closing and Magical Communications

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 99 20:38 MET

peter metcalfe re: Closing

>It doesn't affect swimmers (cf Belintar)

I doubt that Belintar is the measure for what normally goes (otherwise you'd expect a year king to come back after his sacrifice).

>so I think spirits (and other
>sorts of magical communications) are safe.

I don't think so. In this case, the Elder Races of Jrustela would have realized very soon that they were not alone in the world.

I wonder about migratory birds (like storks). Are there any regular bird migrations in Genertela and/or across the waters? In the case of sea birds, I see no magical or mythical problem since IMO they have a claim of descent from Tholaina, or association with e.g. Brastalos, but what about mostly land-bound birds? In the real world, we have lots of birds which fly from South Africa to Middle Europe, or from northern Scandinavia to Africa.

Are there geese which spend their summers on the White Sea and their winters on the Solkathi Sea? Do they fly through Dragon Pass, or do they take a route across Vustria?

What about Starlings? Storks?

Are there birds which cross the gap between Pamaltela and Genertela? Could storks wade through Jolar and Kothar in the humid seasons, and nest in southern Peloria during the dry of Pamaltela? Would they fly along Jrustela?

>>How easy is spirit-borne communication at intercontinental ranges?
>>And hence how widespread?

>It's rare. There's no magical communication that I know of
>between Sog City and Kralorela for example. The closest thing that
>I know of is the Watchers of the Plasma (in Dara Happa) who spied on
>Kralorela from afar in 1620.

Probably from the stars.

I wonder what kind of spirit should be used to cross as magically hostile terrain as the seas with their doom currents, zones of Dead Air, waterspouts, etc. Perhaps migratory bird (or other beast) spirits might help. Salmon spirits might work.

If you want to use a sylph to carry the words, it had better be damn big to be able to withstand the watery forces.

Guided Teleport shouldn't work for distances exceeding one of Mastakos' Seven Steps West, IMO.

The Malkioni angel (or saint) Yingar the Messenger shouldn't carry mundane messages IMO.

This leaves the heroquest roads into and through the outer planes.

We know you can travel from Ralios to Peloria if you go through hell. Ethilrist did this, and probably part of the 300 years this took him were spent on aquiring his demonic steeds.

The Sartarite rebels of 1613 went from Sartar to Stormwalk Mountain or, in case of Redbird, from Cliffhome to Stone Cross.

I suppose that Sheng Seleris would have used magic routes across Pent.

If you want to cross the seas, however, much of the mythical landscape you might want to cross has disappeared with the implosion of the Spike. The Earth has been torn apart.

The Elder Races of Jrustela used unique, one-time magics to transport themselves. Theirs are the only feats I know of to cross the seas and the broken earth. Other than that, there is Errinoru's trip home (down Magasta's Pool, back from his star into the centre of Maslo Sea). Nothing for the traveler in haste, either.

You might want to use the LBQ to get to the Gates of Dusk or Dawn (although the latter would be a very long way). Prepare for several years of travel.

You might want to travel on Kylerela - you'll have to find it first.

It might be easier to hire passage on a Sendereven ship...

>IMO magical communications should only be used within polities (such
>as the Lunar Empire, Loskalm etc). Beyond this, the differences in
>philosophies prevent effective communication.

Even the Lunar Empire relies on semi-magical communicating systems, it appears - news travel by moonboat, heliograph, or wyvern-rider courier.

I don't think that any sea-going power should have means to trace their vessels once they have left sight of their port. Dwarf ships might be able to relay messages via Zenith, as long as the sight is clear.

We know that Maslo catamarans and Vadeli caravels can be found in almost every major port. I doubt these have any means of sending messages back and forth to their ports of origin other than by ship.

Haragalan Tallships might have heliograph devices which might allow them "near long-distance" communication, if there are enough relay vessels.