Two Thunders Redux, KOS and other books

From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_xsite.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 15:59:45 -0600

So far, great responses on the Orlanth vs Shargash thread! What I know of Shargash comes from GROY, so forgive my benighted barbarian ignorance :)

Generally, IMO, being a bit god-learnerish, Shargash does not fill the same tier that Orlanth does, but seems to more likely have the position to Yelm as Humakt does to Orlanth within their respective pantheons. Orlanth is the King, who may treat with Yelm equally (whether Yelm likes it or not.) Shargash bends his knee to the right Emperor of the Universe, and only calls forth his awesomely destructive powers at the appropraiet time. Humakt acknowledges Orlanth's Kingship of the gods, but lordship over Death is now his and his alone. Only by Orlanth's virtues as King of the Gods can he command Humakt and thus command Death...from what I've read, Humakt is the sword at Orlanth's side. Otherwise, Humakt does as he wills, according to his own laws, being cut off (sereved) from the community. However, since these laws are the greater universal laws of honor and Truth, Humakt is a power that upholds universal law.

Orlanth and Yelms greatest feats were, arguably, not ones of violence, but ones of justice and rulership, wise decisions made in protecting their peoples. While Orlanth had tremedous combat victories in God Time, he could arguably be third tier comapred to Urox and Humakt, who each slew the physical and spiritual manifestations of The Devil (Wakboth and Kajabor.) Could Orlanth personally have defeated those foes? Perhaps not. Likewise, for the rebirth of the world, Shargash had to destroy *everything* and perform feats of violence and combat that Yelm, as the ruler god, could not hope to match. As Shargash is Yelm's ultimate weapon, Humakt and Urox stand at the left and right sides of Orlanth the King. It's just that...Orlanth likes to get his hands dirty as well. :)

As I've said before, Northern and Southern Genertelan culture have much more in common than one would immediately suppose. As the God Learners no doubt surmised, certain mysteries are truly universal :)

>From my understanding, KOS is out of print. I desperately need a copy! Is
a new edition being planned for printing? Does anyone have a copy they want to sell? PLEASE! :)

I'm also looking for a copy of Enclosure 1 for the Shargash myths and RQ3/Pendargon cult info. I can order that from Wizard's Attic, right?

Best, and a Happy Sacred Time and New Year!

Chris Bell
argrath_at_xsite.net