various hells

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:57:01 -0800

Chris and Richard make several good points about Orlanth's compassion. He is certainly the most compassionate of the Theyalan storm gods - he has the compassion any ruler/lifepath deity must have.

Rescue from Hells:

> And lets not forget Harmast Barefoot, who rescued Arkat from the
underworld
> to which Nysalor banished him to. While it may not have been Alkoth Hell
> again, there was most likely a greater chance that it was.

I doubt it. The underworld/otherside is very specialized. Alkoth's hell has the special capability of being a storehouse for things waiting to return to the world. Shargash keeps his people - alive and dead - safe there. There also dwell the demons that the Alkothi bring to the surface from time to time. This is hardly the hell that Nysalor would choose to bind anyone permanently!

The most "high-security" Dara Happan hell is likely the one holding the terrible things that Lodril (monster man) guards with "adamant seals of grindingly cruel power". (Who could forget a great GROY phrase like that?) Still, Nysalor, being a new deity or an old aspect of the RG, (take your pick), could have placed Gbaji in a non-Dara Happan hell, of which we know little.

> Any Lightbringer(worth their salt, anyway) in any kind of Underworld
would
> kick major butt... According to Orlanthi myth, anyway.

Precisely - as long as they found an underworld that corresponded to Orlanthi myth, or were powerful enough to shape an underworld area they found into something familiar.

Which brings up the point - do we realy know what the whole underworld looks like? It's not really a physical map - it must be more a continuum of myths. People tend to enter the one they know, expect to see, and preform the right ritual for. So, what happens when you go to someone elses' hell?

What would a band of lightbringers (for Orlanthi rarely travel to the underworld alone) do if they went deep down into the catacombs of Alkoth? Would they find locations from Alkothi myth, locations from their own myths, or a curious mixture of the two?

> However, the Solar
> Gods have never really been able to be victorious against the Storm
> Pantheon...until the coming of the Red Goddess.

Well, the Storm gods are pretty much victorious against everything. Stomping things is their idiom. They ultimately stomp the Red Goddess, too.  Why else would she have kicked them? (evil grin!)

Pam