Re: Ancestral connections

From: Thomas Hobday <tmhobday_at_cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:48:20 +0800

A question has arisen in my RQ campaign, and I am looking for suggestions. According to the description of Ancestor worship cults you must have a blood connection to the shaman (and therefore presumably common ancestors) to worship become an initiate in an ancestor worship cult.

IMC the players are principally members of a certain sartarite clan that has been largely wiped out and the remnants are exiled in Pavis (of course). The clan worships their ancestors as well as being an Orlanthi type clan and worshipping Orlanth pantheon gods. One of the players has a Praxian barbarian character (no blood relation). In a recent moot the question as to whether or not he could be a worshipper of the clans ancestors came up. Clearly he has no blood connection.
Can he just be ritually adopted into the clan and become someone elses child in a spiritual sense and therefore gain the right to call on his "adopted" ancestors?
Is this what happens when a non-troll becomes a troll ? Is this sort of adoption sufficient to allow ancestral "magic items" to be used ?
Is The flame of Sartar such an item?
If he is adopted what position do his other blood ancestors take?

Thomas. H.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #372