The Closing, Belintar and MOnsters

From: rexabean_at_ozemail.com.au
Date: Mon Jan 4 02:40:21 1999

G'day all,

Sandy revealed at the last Glorantha Con Down Under II that in=  fact the Closing is a seperate effect, destroying the ships and=  spreading from Brithos; from the infestation of monsters=  througout the ocean.

> peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
> Joerg Baumgartner:
> >>[The Closing] doesn't affect swimmers (cf Belintar)
> >I doubt that Belintar is the measure for what
> >normally goes (otherwise you'd expect a year king to
> >come back after his sacrifice).
> Given that the Closing is meant to affect ships and
> that if the Closing affected everything on the ocean,
> it is strange that Belintar did not teach others his
> secret after he became Pharaoh.

> >>so I think spirits (and other orts of magical
> communications) are safe.
> >I don't think so. In this case, the Elder Races of
> >Jrustela would have realized very soon that they
> >were not alone in the world.
> The Closing is not the Syndic's Ban (which does
> affect magical communications). It only affects
> ships. As for the Jrusteli, I can only presume that
> the trauma of their travelling prevented
> communications from being re-established.

The huge and horrible monsters spread out from Monster Island=  (east of Magasta's Whirlpool I think) soon after the Closing=  swept through. So even if you survive your ship being destroyed=  the monsters gladly come and eat you up.

Belintar was different and I believe, based on ancient Con=  writeups, is rumoured to be a Godlearner who fell into the=  future or else a Hero Wars Hero who fell into the past whilst=  HeroQuesting at some disastrous moment of world cataclysm.=  (After all he just swam in from the ocean long before Dormal).=  Perhaps it is his hints that lead Dormal to work out his=  succesful ritual (if I have not got my dates backwards ??).

My personal diabolical theory is ZZabur tried to compel Magasta=  to be part of his revenge, however the ritual backfired=  (removing Brithos as well) and Magasta's monsters have since had=  a field day throughout the oceans with non-sea-deity=  worshippers. Dormal's ritual is a side-step from the Closing,=  that also appears to hide them from the monsters obvious and=  immediate notice. Hence I still think the two are linked, but=  not necessarily as neatly as Zzabur wished. After all his allies=  the Waertagi still need Dormal's ritual to move about the=  oceans, even the ones who made it back fom Hell.

Cheers, Andrew

Message sent by MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au/

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #373