Closing and opening

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 23:00:34 +1300

Andrew Bean:

>The huge and horrible monsters spread out from Monster Island
>(east of Magasta's Whirlpool I think) soon after the Closing
>swept through. So even if you survive your ship being destroyed
>the monsters gladly come and eat you up.

I was under the impression that the Monsters afflicted Loral and nearby areas. While I like the idea of the Beasts of Zis being part of the effects of the Closing for places like Teleos and the Masloi sea, I think that places like the West and Kralorela should have their own horrible fates.

> (After all [Belintar] just swam in from the ocean long before Dormal).
> Perhaps it is his hints that lead Dormal to work out his
> succesful ritual (if I have not got my dates backwards ??).

FWIW Dormal is said to be the child of Valira and an unamed father (who proved to be Belintar in one of his earlier shapes). Valira was a passenger on Dormal's first expedition and was appointed by the Pharaoh and bearing his special knowledge. So the Pharaoh seems to have been a major backer for Dormal's expedition.