adoption & misc

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_iname.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 15:16:35 -0600

>>>Is this sort of adoption sufficient to allow ancestral "magic items" to be
>>>used ?
>
>>IMO no, subject to the ancestral approval rule. Such heirlooms are
>>jealously guarded prerogatives of the ancestor's favorites, and can't
>>simply be lent to some foundling or adoptee.
>
>But that defeats the whole point of adoption, to recognize X as being
>the offspring of Y for _all_ intents and purposes. X would have been
>made acceptable to the ancestors as part of the adoption ritual. Thus
>he would be treated no better or worse than a normal offspring.

Who says it's for "all intents and purposes"? I think the rules the ancestors use (since it's really their decision) are of course up to the specific DM in the specific situation, but not all members of a family are neccesarily equal before the ancestors. To use an extreme example, I doubt most ancestral houses (for lack of a better term?) would see the bastard son of a tribal member whose father was an escaped slave given refuge, conceived upon a kidnapped "bride" as "just as good" as the eldest son of the clan chief.

>>Neither can adopted members (usually) hold clan official seats.
>
>I don't think this is true. Wives (or husbands for matrilineal clans)
>get accepted into the clan with all rights and responsibilities, so
>why not adoptees? If they didn't trust him, they wouldn't have adopted
>him in the first place.

I don't think this is so odd - you can become a naturalized citizen of the USA, but you still can't be president. Your descendant could. And I think the rules for subordinate spouses (in terms of lineage) are special - I can't think offhand of a situation (in RW cultures) where such an individual would be a candidate for leading offices anyway. Not to say there might not be subordinate offices that they COULD hold, but not the Grand High Poobah, or any executive seat (although I can stretch and see them having a seat on a ruling council -- but never the leader of such).

>Robin:
>>AFAIK Grandfather Mortal had no physical relations to trolls.
>Nikk:
>Kyger Litor mated with the Man Rune, which I've always assumed to be the Uz
>equivalent of Grandfather Mortal -the name they use to talk about him.

Recall that "grandfather mortal" is actually a GL agglomeration of the numerous culture and race-specific entities who occupied that role in myth.  GM is "mortality" not "human".