Re: Ancestors again

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:50:48 EST

Keith Nellist:

<< It seems the general opinion is in favour of adoption. I feel it should be
 nasty thing to do to your ancestors; you are effectively betraying them. Perhaps each ancestor should be defeated somehow when encountered (for example by random ancestor summoning) or in an axis mundi if the character ever became  a Shaman.>>

     According to the write-up in River of Cradles, if you cease honouring your ancestors they automatically become malign towards you from then on. I feel this should definately apply to someone who stops worshipping his biological ancestors in order to worship his adopted ones just as much as to someone who leaves the cult altogether.

<< Also, adopted ancestors would never be friendly and would need to be won
over.>>

     In order for the new clan to even want to adopt you, you'd have to have done quite a lot for them already, and shown your loyalty to them, and hence their ancestors. After that, the actual initiation ceremony will involve a heroquest to further prove your loyalty and would be fairly arduous. I think after all of this effort and demonstration on the supplicant's part, his adopted ancestors would treat him the same as any other member of their clan - that is what the heroquest will set out to acheive, after all.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky