Belintar and Closing

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:36:25 +1300

Philip Hibbs:

>>Given that the Closing is meant to affect ships and that if the
>>Closing affected everything on the ocean, it is strange that
>>Belintar did not teach others his secret after he became Pharaoh.

>I don't see the secret of "falling out of another world and swimming ashore"
>as being a really great secret to know. I've never needed it.

He didn't fall close to the shore, he swam from a great distance. _If_ the Closing affects swimmers and ships alike _and_ Belintar knew the secrets of negating the closing while swimming _then_ it follows that his secrets would be effective in helping ships defeat the Closing, no?

Me>>The Closing is not the Syndic's Ban (which does affect
>>magical communications). It only affects ships.

>Is that a presumption, or are there documented instances of any other forms
>of travel (flight, swimming, teleport, submarine, etc.) not being affected
>by the Closing?

Is there some reason why you don't consider Belintar's swimming ashore (look two paragraphs above) to be a documented instance? I'm not going to waste time typing numerous instances that come to mind (as well as source quotes about the nature of the Closing) if Belintar's example fails to convince you.