RE: Belintar and Closing

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:26:17 -0000

>_If_ the Closing affects swimmers and ships alike _and_ Belintar knew
>the secrets of negating the closing while swimming _then_ it follows
>that his secrets would be effective in helping ships defeat the Closing,
>no?

Yes, _if_ those presumptions are correct.

>Is there some reason why you don't consider Belintar's
>swimming ashore (look two paragraphs above) to be a
>documented instance? I'm not going to waste time
>typing numerous instances that come to mind (as well as
>source quotes about the nature of the Closing) if Belintar's
>example fails to convince you.

Yow! (snatches back fingers from snapping jaws) I don't think a sample of one, where that one was pretty much a superhero, should be considered representative. I presumed (due to lack of evidence otherwise) that the closing prevented all cross-ocean travel. I think that is a more reasonable presumption than the opposite, given lack of explicit references. I'll admit now, I don't have access to Gloranthan reference material at work, which is where I read the digest.

philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk
http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/
Failure is not an option, it's integral to the o/s.