Re: Ancestor worship

From: Thomas Hobday <tmhobday_at_cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:18:40 +0800

Firstly thanks for all the responses as usual there are more questions that arise.

Trotsky
<snip>
> IMO, yes, but 'just' is probably not the right word. He would have to
be
>actually initiated into the clan, with all the requirements that that would
>normally entail. He would then have to act as if a member of that clan, and
>not of his original one (there might be a few specific pairs of clans for
>which this isn't needed but they'd be rare at best). This might require
>initiation into clan cults (in my campaign he'd certainly have to be
initiated
>into the Orlanth cult) and would certainly require lay membership in such.
>He'd also have to undergo the clan initiation rite, whatever that is. Once
>he's done all of that, he is effectively just as much a member of the clan
as
>somebody born into it, and IMO, that would extend to any ancestor
worshipping
>advantages. Some clans might not permit this type of adoption, mind,
although
>its easier to say that the PC one does.

<snip>

I accept that initiation into the ancestor worshipping cult would be required but is it Possible. Under the restrictions for becoming initiated it states that you must be a blood relative thus I would assume if you arent then you dont qualify and cant be initiated in the same way that if you are a troll you cant be initiated into Yelm

Steve
<snip>
>>>Is this sort of adoption sufficient to allow ancestral "magic items" to
be
>>used ?
>IMO no, subject to the ancestral approval rule. Such heirlooms are
>jealously guarded prerogatives of the ancestor's favorites, and can't
>simply be lent to some foundling or adoptee. Neither can adopted members
>(usually) hold clan official seats.
>
>>Is The flame of Sartar such an item?
>I'd say this one is only for the direct descendants.
<snip>

I agree with your take on ancestors reactions to their descendants (and therefore to adopted descendants) but I think if you accept that you can be ritually adopted into the clan enough to allow ancestor worship and summoning you would have to allow that adoption to work for item use unless their were additional restrictions to the item.

Thomas H