Closing Remarks

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 99 19:28 MET

Philip Hibbs
> I don't see the secret of "falling out of another world and swimming
> ashore" as being a really great secret to know. I've never needed it.

I couldn't agree more... Swimming ashore from the Closing is a heroic feat, sure, but doesn't mean that the curse has been bent or broken.

>>The Closing is not the Syndic's Ban (which does affect >>magical communications). It only affects ships.

> Is that a presumption, or are there documented instances of any
> other forms of travel (flight, swimming, teleport, submarine, etc.)
> not being affected by the Closing?

There is the known effect that people have been unable to detect Brithos during the Closing (or afterwards).

The Ban appears to be an extension of the Closing, at least with regard to its reaction on Dormal's arrival in Fronela.

The fragment of the Waertagi novel in Missing Lands has telepathic contact between the Deri on the various "kaiums", i.e. anchored Waertagi city-ship complexes. It is quite ancient, though...

In a similarly ancient source, Jonat tricks the Closing by riding one of the monsters which appear to guard the coasts (in Jonat's case from Fronela to Seshnela).