Re: migration

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:11:57 -0800

John Hughes

> In my understanding, the seasons occur simultaneously across the
> Lozenge (if its Storm Season in Far Point, it's Storm in Jolar (though
> they don't call it that)). The Gloranthan temperature gradient is
> always North/South: southern Pamaltela is a realm of fire, northern
> Genertela is a realm of ice. Therefore, long distance migrations would
> not occur for the same reasons as on our particular mote in the cosmos.

Your understanding is correct, but I don't think your conclusion is. If a bird wants to be at a specific temperature, it will have to migrate. Yes, it's still cooler in Jolar than it is in Fire season, but it's perhaps about the same as the Fire season temperature in Far Point.

That said, I think the ocean is a pretty big migration. I'd be surprised if anything crosses the "equator."

> When I first set out to detail the flora and fauna of the Far Place, I
> decided that *micro-migration* between different environmental zones
> was most common. Ice and Darkness creatures head to the upland peaks
> in Dark Season, everything else heads for more temperate regions.

I'm sure this is so.