Gloranthan Physics

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 06:50:18 -0500

> Then I'd find that the damn thing went out for no apparent reason. That=

would
lead me to investigate further, and eventually find that a jar put the candle out
but a chimney kept it going and protected it from wind. This is a simple =

empirical observation that I would expect my players' characters to know.=  =

> They may not explain it in terms of oxygen deprivation but they know th=
is
is
how the world works. =

This only seems a 'simple empirical observation' to people who have had t= he
benefit of a 20th century education. It wasn't made by philosophers in o= ur
world
until the 17th century.

It's not just in some GM's Gloranthas that conducting experiments could g= et
you lynched. Priestley, the discoverer of oxygen (though he didn't know what
he'd found and called it dephlogisticated air) had his house, including h= is
laboratory, burned down by a mob.

Andrew