Temperature Gradient

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:13:11 EST

John Patrick Hughes:
<< The Gloranthan temperature gradient is  always North/South: southern Pamaltela is a realm of fire, northern  Genertela is a realm of ice. Therefore, long distance migrations would  not occur for the same reasons as on our particular mote in the cosmos.

I am not convinced by this reasoning; if a creature likes to live in a 10degrees C average temperature (for example) then migration is a lifestyle option.
A creature that cannot endure a freezing temperatures can go Valindwards in FireSeason, and must retreat Pamaltwards in Darkseason.

Hollri are an example of a creature that could be highly migratory.

Temperature aside, there are plenty of other weather patterns worth worrying about - winds could carry creatures to new areas, leaving them there for a season until they pick up another wind (see the seasonalble sailing in Missing Lands for complicated weather patterns)

Add to this the excellent Gloranthan examples you provided, like the silkmane, and Giant Insects, and there seems to be even more reason to migrate than on earth.

Keith Nellist