Gloranthan Seasons

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:32:00 -0500

Happy New Years to all.

I have a problem I'm grappling with. I'm trying to figure our where the four
terrestial season fit on the Theyalan calendar. I'm working from the assumption that Glorantha for the most part experiences the same seasons much of the earth does-spring, summer, autumn and winter. I know Earth season is supposed to correspond with autumn (at least it does in Balazar-it might still be late summer in more southern climes or in Peloria where they manage to delay and weaken the onset of winter).

I started with the assumption that the seasons are roughly of the same length, i.e. 10 weeks. (I'm ignoring Sacred Time from this calculation because I believe that the local weather during Sacred Time is heavily dependent on non-climatic influences, i.e. religion.) I know the seasons are probably not any where near the same length since I live in a place where we can have snow on the ground for six months.

This would mean the following correspondence (with the Season on the left and the terrestrial equivalent on the right) (Sorry about the length)

Sea Spring
Sea Spring
Sea Spring
Sea Spring
Sea Spring
Sea Spring
Sea Summer
Sea Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Fire Summer
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Earth Autumn
Dark Autumn
Dark Autumn
Dark Winter
Dark Winter
Dark Winter
Dark Winter
Dark Winter
Dark Winter
Storm Winter
Storm Winter
Storm Winter
Storm Winter
Storm Spring
Storm Spring
Storm Spring
Storm Spring

Does this make sense? I certainly need to adjust seasonal length but apart from that is it a start?

Thanks,

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca
www.geocities.com/timessquare/realm/5545