Re: Ancestor Worship

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:32:58 +0000

David Weihe :

>> Worshipping someone *else's* ancestors is rather silly

>Worshipping them as YOUR ancestors would probably be, but worshipping
>them in the context of, for example, a vassal of a Yelmic House giving
>sacrifice to the Ancestors of his noble patron, might be reasonable.

I sort of see what you mean, it depends on the culture. I can imagine servants in a household (and thus part of that household) revering the founder of the family, though obviously not as an ancestor. It's more like worshiping a city cult than ancestor worship.

However I still contend that it is possible to become a full member of a bloodline by heroquest, and thus be fully capable of sacrificing to ancestor spirits using the Daka Fal rituals. I don't think this is very common though.

Keith Nellist
> Why would the shaman or the ancestors want
> some non-family member worshipping them?

I don't think they would. However someone who has completed the appropriate quest _would_ be a blood relative.

>I would guess that when a Humakti goes through kin-severing it cuts the

>link that Daka Fal uses. Thus, if your great^4 grandfather severed kin

>you can't get access to your great^5 grandparents (except through
alternate
>routing). This would probably be viewed by the DF priest-shaman as
>sacrilege, even if death is abstractly necessary.

That's daft. If my father decided to sever his family ties, that would not stop his brother from being my uncle, nor my grandfather from still being an ancestor of mine. Nor would it stop Philip from being my brother. I still had a father, who was also the father of by brother Philip. The fact that I would not have a father anymore is incidental.

Simon Hibbs