Re: Seasons

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:13:14 EST

Oliver Bernuetz:

<< I have a problem I'm grappling with. I'm trying to figure our where the
four
 terrestial season fit on the Theyalan calendar.>>

      One common definition of the seasons used in the RW is that the first day of spring is the Spring Equinox, the first day of summer is the Summer Solstice, etc. Working from that, its fairly easy to calculate the Glorantha equivalents, with spring starting at the beginning of the year, summer starting at Yelm's HHD, etc.

<< I'm working from the assumption that Glorantha for the most part
experiences the same seasons much of the earth does-spring, summer, autumn and winter.>>

      The notion of four seasons, as opposed to some other number, is a purely arbitrary human invention, so obviously Glorantha must also experience in some sense - indeed, the Dara Happan calendar does have four seasons, rather than five.

<< I know Earth season is supposed to correspond with autumn (at least it does
in Balazar-it might still be late summer in more southern climes or in Peloria where they manage to delay and weaken the onset of winter).>>

      This is obviously using some rather different definition of 'winter' and 'summer' than the official RW ones, and by the sounds of it one that would vary from region to region. While there's nothing wrong with that (its probably a fair statement that most RW people use the terms rather loosely) it does mean that the correspondance between the seasons and the Theyelan calendar is going to depend on which part of Glorantha you're in. At any rate, we'd need to know what specific definition you are using in order to be able to make any sensible guess as to how the seasons you're defining correspond with the Theyelan calendar.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky