Adoption Rites

From: Hugh McVicker <hmcv_at_burnet.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 16:09:43 +1100

The discussion on adpotion practices has been interesting but what I would find more useful as a GM (sorry if I'm offending any non-gaming Glorantha purists) would be the form different cultures adoption ritual take. To kick things off I'll describe a brother adpotion ritual I used in the campaign I run.
A pc, Gywdden the Hairy, had saved the life of a young bison clan warrior called Zug in a battle against some trolls. Full of the enthusiasm of youth, Zug invited Gywdden to become what the one person amoungst the pc's who spoke any praxian described as "his brother". Thinking that this would be both fun and useful Gywdden aggred so a time and place was set to meet up with the rest of Zug's clan and preform the ritual.
The time arrived and so did the Yellow Hoof clan. Zug and Gywdden were taken into a tent where rainbow grass was throw on the fire (ahh, the sweet smell of burning rainbow grass). For the next six hours the pair sweated it out while his "family" was entertained by the rest of the clan. When the time was deemed auspicious the tribe "holy man" (once again the language difficulties made for approximations of titles) invited those close to both Gywdden and Zug into the tent. More spirits were summoned and could be seen moving through the smoke as one of the effects of rainbow grass is to allow people to see spirits. The holy man and his apprentice both held up daggers which then had powerful magics cast upon them (big bladesharp for those interested). Zug and Gywdden then had their arms held behind them as they knelt on the ground forcing their chests outwards. At this point the forigners were expecting some sort of tribal markings and a little bleeding so when the holy man plunged the dagger into the chest of Gywdden cutting through the ribs like bison cheese they were a little shocked. His friends later informed him that the look on Gywdden's face as the holy man held his still beating heart up in front of him was worth the price of the ticket by its self. The hearts were then (quickly) swapped and major healing magicks applied.
Now, everynow and then, Gywdden's heart will race and he and his friends will wonder what Zug is up to. When this occurs they have taken to throwing helpful magics upon Gywdden just on the chance that this will help Zug out of whatever scrape he's in.
The point of all this rambling being that if you have a Glorantha where healing magics can do things like reattach limbs (which I realise not everyone does) you don't have to limit yourself to cutting your palms and shaking hands. It also exploits a game mechanic (you are not dead till strike rank ten) but I guess transplants and such the like are successful (under much different conditions) in the RW.
So gywdden is now a member of the Yellow Hoof clan and Zug can find kin in the hills of Sartar because a part of them does belong to those places. It certainly should make you think twice before sponsoring any old person into the clan...

So what form would a Sartarite addoption take? Are the Pelorians so sofisticated that it's just a legal contract? Do Mostali just file off the serial numbers and claim that they've had this unit out in the back shed for years?

bye

Hugh

Hugh McVicker
IT Manager
MacFarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research 61-3-92822107
hugh_at_burnet.edu.au