Re: Things in bottles

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:36:32 GMT

Jon Thorvaldson replies to Ian Gorlick:

> >1) If you put a candle in a jar and seal the jar, what happens?

> Nothing, the candle would continue to burn. Fire is a completely separate
> element from air so I can find no reason why the fire would be dependent on
> air.

How about:

"What the candle flame requires is not this bastard 'Aer' the barbarians speak of, but the true Aether. This is present only in attenuated form around us, in this base world of modern day, and so even such crude means as a mere jar is able to exclude it near entire, so that the hapless flame exhausts it quickly."

or:

"This proves the eternal victory of storm over fire, just as it triumphs over _all_ the elements! Just as the birds of the Sky, the merfolk of the Sea, the animals of the Earth and the unspeakable things of the dark all need to breathe Orlanth's ever-present air, so even does the very stuff of Fire itself."

Slan,
Alex.