Ancestor worship etc.

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:22:35 -0000

Just a few quick thoughts on this.

The ancestor worship as described in the writeup (Daka Fal, shamans, and so on) seems to be that as used by cultures for which this is their only form of worship. Orlanthi ancestor-worship would be rather different, surely? For one thing, they probably don't have a pure "shaman" around the average clan. If you want to chat to Grandad, you'll either get help from the clan godi (a priest of Orlanth), or perhaps an Earth priestess with Ty Kora Tek leanings.

I don't know of any ancestor-worship links in any Orlanth writeup I've ever come across. I'm sure they exist, but they've never been emphasised.

Ty Kora Tek does have definite links with chatting to the dead. But, TKT reps. will be female. In most Orlanthi clans, women have moved into the clan when they married, and their ancestors will not be those of the rest of the clan. No, I don't see an answer to this a present, but I do think it shows that the Daka Fal model of ancestor worship simply won't work in Sartar.

Will a blood-line magic item work on an adoptee? Depends entirely on the precise conditions on the item, with the usual proviso that you can only have conditions where the item can be expected to know the answer.

And the Flame of Sartar, remember, was never intended to have conditions "can only be relit by....", because it wasn't intended to need relighting. It was where Sartar's spirit lived, and spoke to his children. Those who got it to flicker after it was damaged (both of them) were blood descendants of Sartar, but in Kallyr's case at least, legally members of an entirely different clan, bloodline, etc. Actually relighting it seems to have involved an awful lot more than just being "the rightful king". I don't think the Flame is a useful example of a bloodline magic item, fascinating though it is.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/