Re: Kralori IAQ

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:20:19 EST

Alex:

<< So lest this be entirely a producer-led exercise, does anyone want to throw some Questions out? >>

     Yeah, I think its about time you earned that huge sum of money you Experts get paid :-). Most questions that occur to me are somewhat vague, but hopefully the following are sufficiently specific to be answerable without writing the entire Kralori book first:

  1. Gods of Glorantha states fairly specifically that an Exarch is a governor of one of the eight provinces of the Empire. But the Genertela Book seems to imply there are rather more - the Seven Bridges have their own 'minor' Exarchs, for example. I assume from this that there are ranks within the Exarch structure, with the lower ranking ones having relatively specific functions. Correct?
  2. Is Seven Dragon & Wisdom the only 'Archexarch' or are there others? If not, does his title imply he is the second most powerful person in the Empire, and (perhaps) that he runs the Empire in those interregna when nobody is on the throne? Is this individual a god, or 'just' a powerful hero?
  3. We know that a Kralori citizen will remain within their social class for life, only marry within it, etc. But the mandarins are appointed by competitive examination, so how does this apply to them (I believe MOB may once have written some stuff on this, although I can't find it at present)? Are they supposedly taken from all classes, with peasants only ruled out by their unfortunate inability to write, recite history and compose poetry about the philosophical implications of the lotus blossom? Or is it officially restricted to certain classes? Once they are mandarins, where do their children and wives stand and who can they marry (I'd imagine they still count as members of the original class of the mandarin, but I may as well ask anyway).
  4. What sort of status do merchants have? AFAIK, merchants were pretty low status individuals in the RW orient, and the fact that they're allowed to travel abroad and be contaminated by ugly smelly boorish foreigners would seem to support the contention in Kralorela too. I mention this as it is different to the sort of high(ish) status merchants tend to get in most fantasy settings, and indeed elsewhere in Glorantha.
  5. The Kralorelan dragonewts apparently swear fealty to Godunya. What does this mean from the human POV and what is the relationship (presumably they don't answer to the exarchs, do they?) Of course, I wouldn't dream of asking what the relationship is from the dragonewt POV [*] but I note that the dragonewts on Fanzai are said to generally ignore the Kralorelans so to what extent is their 'fealty' meaningful?
  6. Zombie galleys. They're cool. Where do they come from?
  7. I get the impression that even the thieves are very hidebound and traditional in the Empire - even restricting their activities to the officially mandated time of night. There are also thief gods in the Eastern Pantheon, according to GoG (of course, it could be talking about Teshnos, Vormain or one of the Eastern Isles). So are these thief gods actually official in some way? Even if they are, it would still be the duty of town guards to arrest their followers, of course, but I could see some kind of acknowledgement of their existence within the pantheon and even of the necessity of their existence as a moral lesson or some such. I would also imagine that Kralori thieves are very organised (tongs are mentioned) and would take a dim of view of 'freelancers' and thieves who appeared to be - -gasp!- insufficiently reverential of the proper traditions and codes of behaviour.
  8. Any chance you'd be interested in any stuff I could write on Shan Shan hsunchen? Hey, I had to ask :-)

[*] "Seventeen ricebowl bathroom apricot", I expect.

Forward the superior Kralorelan Army!

      Trotsky