Re: Closing and swimming

From: Phil Hibbs <PHibbs_at_snark.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:56:23 -0000

>I think Peter is right, not because Belintar swam
>ashore, but rather beause of the mermen. As airbreathers,
>they live (swim) _on_ the sea, more than _in_ the sea.
>Thus, if swimmers were affected by the Closing, they
>would have been in big trouble.

I just don't see it. Merfolk are sea creatures, so they are not affected, in fact they often take part in the Closing. Maybe the closing is only triggered by non-sea-inhabitants going from land out to sea, so Belintar never triggered the effect because he was going the other way. There are many possibilities. True, the G:COTHW only says that it "swept the oceans clear of all surface shipping, and rendered subsequent navigation impossible", but as there probably wouldn't have been that many swimmers out in the ocean (IIRC, where the sea has no bottom), then it wasn't recorded by the chroniclers of the time whether the closing affected swimmers. I certainly wouldn't try swimming out into the deep ocean just to test a theory.

Phil.