Re: The Closing

From: rexabean_at_ozemail.com.au
Date: Tue Jan 12 08:48:52 1999

G'day all,

Peter Metcalfe
>>>Phil Hibbs:
>>>Thus, if swimmers were affected by the Closing, they
>>>would have been in big trouble.
>>I just don't see it. Merfolk are sea creatures, so
>>they are not affected, in fact they often take part
>>in the Closing.
>The Waertagi were sea creatures _also_ and yet they
>got screwed by the Closing.

But they sail ships on the surface of the ocean and these were wrecked. Do they worship Magasta (I don't recollect this) ? Considering Brithos got hit in the supposed misfire maybe their allies the Waertagi copped it mistakenly as well.

For the record: I think Zzabur tried to cast a major spell involving binding a major sea demon (Magasta or equivalent) to go out and destroy the Jrusteli fleets, in concert with the major sea battle that the Waertagi had planned against the Jrusteli. It may also have been tied in with his plans to sink large chunks of Fronela, so maybe Prince Snodal's heroquest to bring on the ?whatsit? also screwed up this part of the plan. Or maybe Magasta and his minions were too powerful ? Or maybe Zzabur slipped on a banana skin at the wrong moment <shrug>.

I also agree with all of Joerg's points in the last Digest:

> Does the Closing have active guardians, or
> did it just invite monsters and currents
> from the outer seas a lot closer to the
> shores (to much the same effect)?

I think at the last GCDU II Sandy Petersen said that the Closing was a single spell of limited duration (days, months or years, but not centuries). The outbreak of monsters from Loral (Monster ?) island was a seperate effect and it is these that now destroy most of the ships that sail out of sight of land (natural disasters may well account for the rest).

Could someone correct me on this, who was there ? Maybe the spell is still going and this is what keeps Brithos out of touch (its absence powers the spell ?). So to bring Brithos back you have to stop Zzabur's
Closing spell (no easy thing)?

Cheers, Andrew

Message sent by MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au/