Re: Gloranthan Seasons

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:13:32 GMT

Oliver:
> Valind's Glacier and the Fiery southern desert obviously have strong
> effects on the weather.

Actually, I think Valind's Glacier is caused by cold weather (in the shape of the cold current from the NW), rather than vice-versa. But that may be a Viewpoint issue.

> I bet that most of Pamaltea doesn't
> have anything beyond dry and wet seasons due to the influence of the
> fiery south.

My understanding is that the Pamaltelan plains have four seasons, both climatologically and culturally. i.e. there are four "weathers", and the Doraddi calendar has four seasons. (Hot, very hot, feckin' hot, and "Ah, but it's a dry heat!"?)

> I ignored the solstices and equinoxes mostly because I can't figure out
> what they're supposed to represent in the Gloranthan sense (Yelm
> not being orbited around by Glorantha and all, or is it???)

I can tell you few things for sure about Gloranthan cosmology, but one is that Glorantha absolutely, definitely does not orbit Yelm. Or if it does, there's a scheme of positively Creationist proportions to convince people otherwise (like back-projecting false stellar backdrops). (Creationists offended by this statement... well, I'll get back to you if and when I think of a plausible disclaimer.)

Solstices may or may not mean some or any or all or none of the following: longest/shortest days; dates the change (a change?) is position of the sun "stands still" whilst it changes direction; time Yelm is at his strongest/weakest, and/or lowest/highest.

> Dec 21st is the first day of winter? Baw hah hah. Then why has there
> been snow on the ground for five weeks already?

Your country is faulty. Please have it returned to the shop for reconditioning!

> But using Yelm's HHD as midsummer is beautiful.

Note that if Gloranthan "midsummer" is anything like the terrestrial one, it does _not_ even remotely mean the "middle of summer"!

> Sea 1-5 Spring
> Sea 5-8 Summer

Is Sea 5 in one, the other, or both?

> Fire 1-7 Summer
> Fire 7-8 Fall, sorry Autumn

Ditto Fire 7.

Your season lengths seem slightly anomolous:

Spring 10.5 (+ Sacred Time)
Summer 10
Autumn 10.5
Winter 9

As it's hard to _not_ include ST in spring, when it "wraps around it" like that, you've ended up with an effectively 12.5 week spring, vs a 9 week winter...

Oh my DH fixup:
> Not bad but the observed weather patterns for Balazar and Prax
> state that the coldest weather occurs during Dark season, not
> Storm season, though the start of that is cold as well so the bulk
> of "winter" - the coldest bit of the year should occur in Dark Season.

This is true. Dunno how the Dara Happans see this one, really... Perhaps their "Winter" is the _stormiest_ season, rather than the coldest.

  *shakes fist irately at Walindus and Rebellus Terminus!*> I've heard
> from other sources that Stephen Martin says that the spring equinox falls on
> the first day of the year so I guess that's pretty official.

I think "pretty official" is a fair summary. I don't think Steve has changed Greg's mind on this for a good, oh! two weeks now. <wry smirk>

Slan,
Alex.