Re: Ancestor worship etc.

From: Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_cyberus.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:03:59 -0500

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:39:52 GMT, Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie> wrote:
> Jane Williams:
> > Ty Kora Tek does have definite links with chatting to the dead. But,
> > TKT reps. will be female. In most Orlanthi clans, women have moved
> > into the clan when they married, and their ancestors will not be those
> > of the rest of the clan.
>
> Good points. But perhaps many TKT cultists are widowed, unmarried,
> or divorced? Or else, are associated with tribal earth temples, rather
> than clan ones?

IMG, TKT (indeed all of the women's "malign" cults, BBG and MG) is for women who have moved outside of "normal" Orlanthi society. To become a priestess of the dead, one must be close to it oneself.

In contrast to BBG and MG, who turn grief into anger, a TKT devotee isolates herself in loss. TKT draws women whose family have died, who are victims of great suffering. She offers peace (or at least numbness) to these women, and the comfort of being able to contact those lost to life. TKT has a place in society, but it is always marginal. The normal old women's (postmenopausal)  goddess is Asrelia, the smiling grandmother who keeps the harvest safe until Voria returns (her gold is the gleam of a full grainbasket).

In my game, the only TKT priestess so far encountered was mad, grieving for her lost husband and children. To her, the spirits of her family were more real than people. TKT is about family, and dealing with its loss. Thus she doesn't offer ancestor worship in the way that Daka Fal does, but a way to talk to, and gain comfort from, family members known to the supplicant. I imagine that most are solitary or in small groups, but many might gather in isolated nunneries, particularly when the original tragedy is shared. Hmmm.... a few must have sprung up in Satar after 1602....

This is all, IMG, of course.

Kind Regards,
Bruce Hollebone