Re: Winter Solstice

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:37:27 GMT

Trotsky:
> It certainly *ought* to be either her's or Valind's, I agree. But it
> ain't. Valind's is wind/fertility/dark while Xentha's is god/fertility/dark.
> If somebody does have a HHD on the winter solstice, I don't who it is.

I think that, perhaps perversely-seeming, the solstice's main significance is solar. cf well-known other Solar religions, such as that of Invictus Sol, and Jesus H. Christ...

In Dara Happan terms, the WS is the point at which Yelm reaches the deepest, blackest part of Hell, goes stark raving bonkers, and becomes Illuminated, and reborn thereby. So I'd suggest it was certainly a "Seasonal" holy day of Yelm, and one could be faux-clever and suggest it was the HHD of some "aspect" of Yelm, or related entity. (Bijiif? Rashoran?)

Slan,
Alex.