Kralori Trotskyism.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:43:22 GMT

Trotsky retaliates in force:
> Yeah, I think its about time you earned that huge sum of money you
> Experts get paid :-).

Touche', pussycat. ;-)

> Most questions that occur to me are somewhat vague, but
> hopefully the following are sufficiently specific to be answerable without
> writing the entire Kralori book first:

Hopefully, though naturally it's all stuff I know very little about, yet! There follow some random musing that aren't much at all like a proper FAQ, but hey, a start's a start...

> 1) [Exarch terminologitis] I assume from this that there are ranks within the
> Exarch structure, with the lower ranking ones having relatively specific
> functions. Correct?

I think this is reasonable assumption. I shall set about clarifying/ detailing somewhat.

> 2) Is Seven Dragon & Wisdom the only 'Archexarch' or are there others? If not,
> does his title imply he is the second most powerful person in the Empire, and
> (perhaps) that he runs the Empire in those interregna when nobody is on the
> throne? Is this individual a god, or 'just' a powerful hero?

I reckon he's "just" a powerful hero. He may well be the second most powerful individual, but that's not currently clear just from his title. (See above...)

> 3) [mandarins]
> Are they supposedly taken from all classes, with peasants only ruled out by
> their unfortunate inability to write, recite history and compose poetry about
> the philosophical implications of the lotus blossom?

Got it in one.

> Once they are mandarins, where do their
> children and wives stand and who can they marry (I'd imagine they still count
> as members of the original class of the mandarin, but I may as well ask
> anyway).

There may not be a mandarin "class" as such, officially. If it's "just a job", an ex-peasant mandarin remains technically of peasant class, and doubtless is made to feel thoroughly socially awkward by his "betters". The plight of the arriviste everywhere...

> 4) What sort of status do merchants have?

Likely pretty bipolar. As everywhere, the rich have clout, but attitudes towards them will be strongly coloured by religious attitudes. In particular, the ancient Kralori sage NiangMao practised an extremely rigorously ascetic discipline which included, at least according to many of his present day followers, renouncing all worldly wealth.

Things aren't that extreme these days, as Darudism allows one to be Saved by much less drastic means, but some of these attitudes persist, as indeed do some practitioners of "NiangMaoism". And if one wishes to follow the mystic path oneself, rather than just reap the benefits of being a faithful worshipper of the Emperor, and gaining from his overflowing benefits of enlightenment, then this is still pretty incompatible with transacting half-million euros home loans, etc.

In other words, there's a certain element of "It is easier to pass a camel throught the eye of a needle".

The exactly social standing of particular different occupations, merchantile or otherwise, I'll give a bodyswerve to for now.

> 5) The Kralorelan dragonewts apparently swear fealty to Godunya.
> [...] I note that the
> dragonewts on Fanzai are said to generally ignore the Kralorelans so to what
> extent is their 'fealty' meaningful?

Exactly. A more cynical person than I might suggest that the ritual of fealty might be on the lines of, "If the Dragonewts of Fanzai are not utterly loyal to the sacred person of Holy Godunya, Infinite Incarnate, as they have been unto the eternal past, let this fine porcelain dish spontaneously combust", or something equally watertight. Given that the 'newts of Fanzai are assuredly the most Draconic of all Glorantha, and hence the screwiest, if one of inhuman kings really did swear fealty to the Emperor, just how good a predictor do you think this might be to their future behaviour? Fanzai isn't formally a Province, so I think no Exarch is directly involved. (Not counting "involvement" like "Dear Emperor, hope you are well, deepest felicitations, etc. Dragonewts breakfasting on populace outside Exarchal Palace. I await the fruits of your Unimpeachable Wisdom with humble patience. Your unworthy servant of Wanzow.") Nor are they required to pay taxes, support the Godunya cult, raise troops for the army, and all the things a normal province does.

However, it should be borne in mind that however ludicrous this arrangement seems to Unopened eyes, the Emperor _is_ a dragon. Undoubtedly, in mystical terms he is indeed the superior of the dragons, but don't expect to readily comprehend this aspect of their relationship unless you're a Fully Realised Draconic Mystic yourself. (Thank you, Mr. August Dressing Gown and Slippers!)

> 7) I get the impression that even the thieves are very hidebound and
> traditional in the Empire - even restricting their activities to the
> officially mandated time of night.

Yes indeed. They're not actually _allowed_ to rob people, of course, but if you get mugged in the criminal district of town at Thief Hour by a burly chap wearing Tong silks, the city militia are neither especially sympathic to your case, nor zealous in their investigations. "Askin' for it, wasn't he Officer Wuay?" "Positively gaggin', Officer Laon."

Also take it as read that the gangs are excessively well-organised and self-disciplined, have strict (if a tad perverted) codes of honour, and are freely interspersed with wacky martial artists, devotees of warped mystical practices, demon-worshippers, and other funsters. Hey, you've all seen Big Trouble in Little China, right?? (Recommended, at least so long as you've hot your shots from Hokum and Kurt Russell

> 8) Any chance you'd be interested in any stuff I could write on Shan Shan
> hsunchen? Hey, I had to ask :-)

Every chance! This _is_ something I've been thinking about, but it's a tad too nebulous to be embarrassing myself in public over, at present. Feel free to either pester me by email, or thrash around here for a while. ;-)

> Forward the superior Kralorelan Army!

The _Enlightened_ Kralorelan Army!

Slan,
Alex.