Artwork

From: Mmohrfield_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:19:25 EST

Thomas Gottschall writes

<< I know that Avalon Hill was nearly finished with RQ4 and there was a beautiful
 picture of the incident in 1625 where the Lunar temple-to-be was eaten by=  the
 green dragon. My question is does anybody know a link to this picture ? O= r
who
 has done it (email address would be great) ? >>

The painting of,I believe, the brown(not green) dragon devouring the Lunar temple was done by Richard Bober, who also did the covers for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun novels. I've always liked the brown dragon painting, = but
for some reason it never occurred to me to do a web search for the artist before . I didn't find any links to him, but I did find something called Worlds of Wonder(http://www.wow-art.com/home.html), which sells the painti= ngs
that many science fiction/fantasy/horror/rpg covers are copied from. Bober=  is
one of the artists whose work they sell, and I wrote in asking if they had=  an
info on the brown dragon painting. This is what I got back

<<Hi Mark,

Richard called this one, simply, "Glorantha" - and it's in oils, 33" x 22". The painting is available, and still in Richard's hands; at one time it was shown in one of my catalogs 'for sale'. You don't say what your interest was, purchase - or reproduction rights?

PS: when the painting didn't sell immediately after my catalog came out, Bober told me he was 'withdrawing' it from sale, meaning he had decided to keep it vs. me making further efforts to place it. However, if you are interested, I can bring him back an offer and we can go from there...perhaps he'll change his mind!

It's a very wonderful painting, I can tell you that for a fact...I had it in my inventory here for a couple of months before he asked me to send it back! It was then - originally- listed for $6800. Depending on his mood and inclination that could be the same now, higher or lower.

If it's rights/reproduction you're after, I will need to know the usage you intend, and will then quote a price. - --
Jane Frank, Director & Owner
Worlds of Wonder=AE
PO Box 814, McLean VA 22101
(703) 847-4251 fax (703) 790-9519