Kralorelan

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:04:58 +0800

> Oh, and another question, since I'm here. What is the status of women
>within Kralori society? I'm thinking particularly of the potential or
>otherwise for female PCs.

        I think on the whole, society expects women to stay in their familiar social roles. However, exceptions are officially fine, if scandalous to their parents. Perhaps the EFFL are active in the feminist cause?

        I think, for example, that there is no rule that forbids a woman becoming a full Mandarin, but that it is shocking for a mandarin to make his daughter spend time gaining the education she needs to pass the mandarin exams, when she should be learning useful husband-catching skills instead. Nevertheless, it happens occasionally, and some women actually promote the practice (the EFFL?), because thousands of years of tradition isn't good enough for them.

spake the expert
>Hey, you've all seen Big Trouble in Little China, right??
<ludicrously high pitched voice> Indeeeed! </ludicrously high pitched voice>

        (and let me just put a vote in now for the existence of a Hell of Being Skinned Alive somewhere in the unpleasant nether regions of the Kralori Cosmology)