Sartar clan-politics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:35:43 +1300

Charles Corrigan:

>The [Report on the Orlanthi] emphasises that
>- - the smallest legal unit is a bloodline,
>- - the law does not recognise that any crime can be committed by one member
>of a bloodline against another and

Such crimes are punished by the head of the household and his brothers who gang up on the offender and beat the living shit out of him.

>- - a bloodline suffers all penalties against and enjoys all rewards to an
>individual member of that bloodline.

Unless he's outlawed.

>I think that given the above, there must be some further religious and
>social bonds between members. I feel that each bloodline should have a
>council or some other leadership mechanism to actually runs its affairs
>(dividing up the lands that the clan have given it between members,
>arranging marriages and punishing misbehaviour)?

Why must there be a council for bloodlines? Do you have a formal council to decide what goes on within your family?

>Also, there should be
>frequent worship of the Founder, perhaps the spirit of the Founder will
>be a member of the leadership?

I think that would be subsumed within Clan worship activities. If you emphasize the distinctiveness of the Bloodline at the expense of the clan, then you run the risk of breaking up the clan.

>How often would a new bloodline be established?

Whenever irreconcilable differences occur. The two factions have a huge punchup and go their separate ways.

>In the case of a Clan Founder and (possibly) Bloodline Founder, will the
>ancestor worship take them out of the cycle of rebirth?

Not really related to the Bloodline question, but Orlanthi do not seem to have much awareness of the Cycle of rebirth - Last time this came up I said they had no awareness and Mike Cule said I was wrong.

>It appears that, in the majority of marriages, the wife will move to her
>husband's home but this implies there will be cases where the opposite
>applies, but I do not wish to explicitly spell it out in each of the
>following cases. How involved in a bloodline will a wife be?

It depends on the type of marriage and how close the wife is to the in-laws (and in some cases her own family). The impression I get from the text is that whoever the wife lives with becomes her bloodline.

>How does a
>bloodline regulate the behaviour of its married daughters? Obviously a
>wife's original bloodline will protect her interests, especially if it comes
>to divorce, but from a practical and legal point of view I think she will
>have become a member of her husband's bloodline.

Let us say that a wife is being treated badly. She goes to her brothers to complain and they lean on the husband to get results. Therefore she will still be able to call upon her family and so she would not be 'from a [...] practical' PoV _solely_ a member of her husbands bloodline.

>Moving on to clan and tribal behaviour.

>The clan chieftain is expected to be a warrior. Is a chieftain expected to
>voluntarily retire when he loses his fighting abilities or would the clan
>chuck him out?

A bit of both. If he fails to recognize that he's on the way out, the harder it will be for him when he is chucked out.

>I suspect that this would depend on the times and that a
>retired chieftain would usually remain on the inner ring (and frequently an
>ousted chieftain would still have enough support to remain there too).

It depends whether the new chief can tolerate him or not. The Inner Ring is chosen by the chieftain.

>Would a clan raid against another clan of the same tribe?

Yes. The first rule is 'Don't get caught'.

>I had a chat with Simon Hibbs and we came to the conclusion that
>intra-tribal raiding would be quite ritualised with maybe only
>one cow taken, just to show that they could do it.

Among some tribes, possibly. Others would sneer at the girly antics of these tribes IMO.