More Orlanthi stuff

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:57:08 -0800

Benedict writes:
>The Orlanthi folk heroes are Orlanth and Ernalda. Orlanthi obey
>choosen leaders. The bloodline would have a pair of _de facto_
>(everything in Orlanthi society is de facto) male and female leaders,
>usually married, taking the role of Orlanth and Ernalda. The Orlanth
>leader might choose a ring (council) to advise him.

I think this is misleading. Sure, there is often a husband-and-wife team leading a bloodline, but not always. Sometimes it is a brother-and-sister team, a mother-son team, or even a pair (or trio) of brothers. There is NOT a bloodline council. Nothing that formal - these are families, not clans.

>The spirit of the founder would be Ginna Jar for the ring, if the
>ring were the Lightbringer type. But why WORSHIP the founder? Recite
>his/her sagas, certainly, but why worship a founder that can do
>nothing for you, unlike Orlanth or Ernalda?

A little secret about Ginna Jar - she's just the Orlanthi symbol for "community" and not necessarily "our local community". Many Orlanthi clans call her Ernalda-Who-Waits, with Ginna Jar being the universal aspect of this.

I agree that most bloodline founders aren't worshipped. Snorri Hairyback is unlikely to worship his uncle Gulbrand Twoploughs just because he founded a large stead and a new bloodline. Even if he did become wealthy enough to own two ploughs.

>Orlanthi society is not literate, nor is its legal system as rigid as
>ours. Consequently, the definition of bloodline membership is not as
>rigid and legalistic as you might expect. If collaterals want to
>'leave' the bloodline (that is, form a new one), that can. Leaving
>with some possessions is usally harder: violence is always an option.

Orlanthi society is often quasi-literate, with the Lhankhor Mhy lawspeakers keeping written records of geneologies and law claims. Its legal system is very sophiscated and very complex- the Orlanthi have at least three law gods (Orlanth, Lhankhor Mhy and Heort)! Don't underestimate the legalistic tendencies of the Orlanthi - I suspect that they are the most litigious culture in Genertela. Many of their major sagas are oriented around legal disputes gone hey-wire (Rastalulf's Saga for example). Part of the complexity is that the Orlanthi have a precedent or legal rule justifying almost any action they might wish to take.

>As for joining someone elses bloodline: everyone knows who their
>parents and siblings are, so impossible. A family might claim that
>their bloodline was a long lost branch of a bloodline, and request
>reacceptance. Oratory, lawspeaking, saga knowledge and being valuable
>(powerful, wealthy or respected) all help. See, for example,
>Argrath's reacceptance as a member of the Colymar tribe.

Not really true. A bloodline is a voluntary kinship organization - folk can be adopted in, kicked out, whatever. What you described is how folk are recognized as members of a clan, which is different altogether.

Jeff