Re: Yelmalian quests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:13:22 GMT

Jane Williams comments:
> 1) Monrogh. How on earth you turn emulating him into a HQ I have no
> idea. Go on a trip to Teshnos to learn wisdom?

Probably more likely to do with liberating yourself (or others) from Orlanthi, Overcoming Adversity (darkness foes, maybe?) and finally being Recognised by Yelm.

> 1) Catseye. Sounds like a link to Yinkin to me, from Yelmalio's
> Orlanthi past. Perhaps you have to beat up an alynx and learn its
> secrets?

Owch. I wonder if there's a Yelmalian proverb to the effect of "There clearly _is_ enough room to swing a cat in here"?

> 2) Sunbright. And that isn't from Yelm, either. Something to do with
> Yelmalio's status as Last Light in the Darkness?

Yes, indeed. This would be Yelmalio's own light, never extinguished. Corresponding to his manifestations as the bright sky, as dawn and dusk, and as Lightfore during the night. Maybe the quest begins with Yelmalio being given his light by the sun, and then defending it against darkness foes, finally being rejoined by the sun.

> 3) Shield. Why is this "special" divine magic, I wonder? Perhaps
> because Yelmalio is good at surviving (though not winning) fights?

I guess so. It'd suggest a HoG stage, though he only seems tp _lose_ armour et al on that... Presumably there's some sort of preparatory/armouring stage of the quest before the HoG proper, though.

> 4) Yelm. Dad. I wonder if Yelmalio has a "prove I'm the son of Yelm"
> quest?

See "Monrogh", I'd think.

Slan,
Alex.