Re: Orlanthi kin and law

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 02:53:50 GMT

Jeff again:
> "Bloodline" is an easily abused word - especially because the Orlanthi =
give
> it multiple meanings. Orlanthi are obsessive geneologists since a =
distant
> family connection gives one a possible legal relationship (or at least =
> claim to such a relationship). This applies not just to men, but =
often to
> heroes and gods as well. [...] Confusing? Of course it is. Why
> else would Lhankhor Mhy be a major cult amongst the Orlanthi - it =
takes the
> god of knowledge and law to keep track of this relationships.

Actually, that's not so bad, as Orlanthi Confusion (or Confused = Orlanthi,
perhaps) goes -- if one always talks of "the bloodline of [X]", then the meaning is (fairly) clear, whether [X] is "Heort" or "my granda Alfast".

It only gets to be ambiguous if you say something woolly like "same bloodline", to which an Orlanthi pedant would say "which same = bloodline?".
In this sort of context I assume it's normally taken to mean the usual 3 or 4 generation 'temporary' bloodline.

> Yes - however a trespass by a member of a clan can be redressed =
against any
> other member of that same clan.

Yup, that's what I thought. Basically each "level" of organisation (individual, (stead?), bloodline, clan, tribe, kingdom) deals with each "subordinate" unit as a collective entity, at least for the most part, not as individuals, or as sub-sub-parts -- that seems to be the general principle, right? To "pick out" a particular individual for some sanction or other requires going through the representatives of each level (tribal king, clan chieftain), if you want to stick with legal protocol.

Incidentally, I predict that the Lunars, having a quite different sort of social organisation override this often, greatly pissing clansfolk off, even without really meaning to. When they start breaking up existing clans, mind you, I think they mean to.

> >and leadership of the bloodline is effectively in the hands of =
whichever
> >of his sons or grandsons have the most money, huscarls, grain, =
favours,
> >or Plot Points, depending on the whatever pressing matter is at hand.

> Or daughters, daughters-in-law, etc. with the most money, strongest
> personality, clearest sagacity, favours, or Plot Points. =20

No-brainer on my part, whilst interpreting the concept of = "patrilineage",
with my brain firmly in 'neutral'. (Blame too much Patriarchal = Pendragon
on the brain.) Honest, guys and gals, this wasn't reflex sexism, just elaborate idiocy on my part.

Sl=E1n,
Alex.