Atyar

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:48:23 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>The other good link with Atyar and Kralorela (apart from the description in
>Lords of Terror of it as a Kralori cult of occult thieves that spread west in
>the first age (although Treack Markhor only hid the skull there in the Second
>Age)

If he was from Dragon Pass, Treack Markhor could have reached Kralorela in the Dawn Age. Contact was made before the Sun Stop. IMO I think Treack Markhor was a local renegade sage who was thought to be a priest of Lhankor Mhy by the Orlanthi. This is not new, Irrippi Ontor is also said to a Grey Sage even though the Pelorians know him as an Astrologer and a Carmanian Vizier.

> would be the Godlearner/BrainLooter New Dragon Ring.

The God Learners were not Brainlooters. That is some mysterious organization who were around in sixth century Dragon Pass. The God Learners didn't get organized until the middle of next century.

Secondly the New Dragons Ring 'stopped being God Learners'.

>Atyar is an
>excellent Godlearner cult; Consume Minds, Devour Book, Voice of Atyar
>all help plunder other peoples secrets.

The operative word here is 'cult'. The God Learners did not join cults to worship Gods but subscribed instead to numerous schools, philosophies and Wizardly orders. If they came into contact with spirits like Atyar, it would have been most probably through demonology and other methods. Since Atyar is a worshipped entity, his cult demonstrably was _not_ joined by God Learners.

>I would go as far as making Treak Markhor a powerful official in the New
>Dragon Ring, perhaps ruling a city, or province, as an Atyari 'Exarch'.

Unfortunately the Imperial Age is when the Atyaris are best understood to have met up with the Thanics after being expelled from Kralorela. And the New Dragons Ring were in control throughout most of that age.

If the Brainlooters are headhunting thanics suddenly empowered by Kralori Atyar magics, then the Atyari were expelled before the New Dragons Ring took over and so Treack Markhor cannot have been an exarch.