Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #406

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:45:00 +0000

> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:23:01 -0800
> From: "Richard, Jeff" <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
> Subject: More Orlanthi bloodlines

- -..
> Each Orlanthi clan is likely to have its own laws regulating marriage.

I don't think so. Simply, if people are to marry across clans, different clans must have the SAME (or only trivially different) laws for marriage. There might be different additional customs ('In our clan, the groom always wears a blue cloak on his wedding day') and specifications ('In our clan, the dowry of the bride always includes a sword'). But different laws for clans PLUS exogamy is a recipe for disaster.

Of course, although neighbouring clans might have only small differences, distant clans could have greater differences.