Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #408

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 99 00:02 MET

Fabrice Lamidey:
>I have a few questions :

Time to earn my money, and practice this just un-braced hand:

>1=B0) At what precise date is the Pharaoh dismembered by Jar-eel ?

Ernalda's High Holy Day, i.e. Clay Fertility Earth 1616. However, we don't know exactly how long the Pharaoh usually takes for his way back, or where he re-emerged (Necropolis?), so his disappearance may have been noticed only later.

>2=B0) In what circumstances (naval combat i suppose) ?

On his return from the realm of the dead (remember he is the Master of Luck and Death) after his being sacrificed as the Year King.

>3=B0) What are the events of the tournament of luck and death ?=20

I guess this depends which role (from which Sixth) you are taking. AFAIK there is no definite set of events to proceed through, although Joseph Campell's universal quest scheme (in "Hero With A Thousand Faces") seems to fit the bill for this quest fairly well...

The 1616 Tournament was highly irregular because it wasn't summoned by the Pharaoh after the old body had been used up, but by his followers who wanted him back after a perfectly virile body had disappeared in that sacrifice.

These tournaments are hardly annual events, sample bodies are known to have lasted 23 years (at least). There was one tournament around 1600 which drew many of the Sartarite royals to Heortland rather than defend against the Lunars - this is part of the reason why such an obscure heir as Salinarg succeeded Terasarin..

>4=B0) At what date does in take place in 1616 ?

Hard to say. After Ernalda's HHD, when the disappearance had been noticed...