Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #409

From: Paul McDonald <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:33:55 -0500

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:43:19 -0500
> From: Mark Gagnon <markg_at_etown.net>
> Subject: New thread: We need a good map...
>
> I've tried numerous times to piece things together to give my players some idea as
> to scale and distance and landmarks and everytime I've made some glaring and
> embarrassing error.

It would be nice for the guy running the game to have solid reference material, but I don't find it that big a problem. I just make up my mind on what the distances are in *my* world, and the players never have access to that info. Their maps are always found, stolen, bought, or self-made and all are in some way wildly inaccurate. This is also my explanation for my own screw-ups! "Wow, I guess that map you bought is a lemon!" :)

Maps are also infrequent possessions for my PCs. More generally, they get directions like "Go north until Thunder mountain lies due west, and then travel east for 'bout a day. Once you cross Mahlbrier creek, follow it upstream for an hour or so, and our stead is the one on top of the long hill on the east bank."

Of course, if they were playing a rich Malkioni merchant things might be more difficult...